Kremenets district, Ternopil region
- Jewish encyclopedia of Brockhaus & Efron
- Russian Jewish encyclopedia
- Christian Herrmann
- The Center for Jewish Art. Pochaiv
Pochayiv (ukr. Почаїв), the town in Ternopil region. In the 19th - early 20th centuries - in the province of Galicia in Austria-Hungary. In 1919–39 - as part of Poland, in 1939–91 - the Ukrainian SSR.
In 1768, in Pochayiv lived approx. 100 Jews,
in 1847 - 401,
in 1870 - 433 (46.9%),
in 1897 - 1377 (71.7%),
in 1921 - 1083 (46.7%),
in 1931 - approx. 1300 Jews.
Jews settled in Pochayiv in the 17th century. Jews were mostly engaged in pilgrim trade. By this time, local Hevra Kadisha assisted Jewish converts to reconvert to Judaism and sent them to the Austrian Empire.
In the mid-19th century, the Jews owned 15 shops in the town. A synagogue and a Beit-Midrash were in operation.
The Karlin-Stolin Hasidism dynasty predominated in Pochayiv. Haim Roinick and his son Jacob-Yosef (1862–1910) served as rabbis at the end of the 19th and beginning of 20th century.
A Jewish hospital was established in 1889.
In 1906 and 1907, pogroms were staged in the town.
In the 1910s, a yeshiva was opened.
In 1911 in the ownership of the Jews there were 42 of 45 stores in Pochayiv.
In 1914 Jews belonged the only warehouse of pharmacy goods, all 3 forest warehouses, 22 bacalemes, 13 manufactory shops and all 3 shops of ironed goods.
In 1919, the Polish army organized a Jewish massacre.
In the 1920s, a Tarbut Hebrew school functioned.
In the 1920-30s there were branches of various Jewish parties and organizations.
On June 30, 1941, Pochayiv was occupied by the Wehrmacht. In January 1942, a ghetto was established. It was liquidated in September 1942, and 794 Jews were murdered.
Nearly 500 Jews were shot at the Jewish cemetery.
About 40 Jews returned in Pochayiv after the war. In 2005, a few Jewish families lived in Pochayiv.
|Synagogue in Pochayiv, 2021
||Holocaust memorial in the Christian cemetery
||Memorial at the mass grave in the Christian cemetery