Yavoriv district, Lviv region
|Yavoriv on a postcard from the early 20th century. On the right is a synagogue built in the 19th century
||In Soviet times, the synagogue was rebuilt into a bathhouse, and dismantled in the 1990s
||Synagogue in Velké Oczy, Poland (former Yavoriv district)
- Jewish encyclopedia of Brockhaus & Efron
- Бойко О. Втрачені пам’ятки сакральної архітектури Львівщини: синагоги. – Пам’ятки України, 2006 р., № 3, с. 57.
- Прадідівська слава. Яворів, cинагога мурована
- Jewish Cemeteries Initiative. Yavoriv Jewish Cemetery
- Center for Jewish art. Synagogue in Yavoriv
- Shtetl Routes. Wielkie Oczy - Cultural Heritage Card
Yavoriv (Ukrainian: Яворів, Yiddish: יאַוואָראָוו) is a city in the Lviv region of western Ukraine which is around 15 kilometers from the Polish border.
The town was first mentioned in written documents in 1436. It received Magdeburg rights in 1569, from Polish King Sigismund II Augustus. Jaworów was a royal town of Poland. It was a favorite residence of king John III Sobieski.
Until the First Partition of Poland, Jaworów was an important center of commerce, located along main merchant route from Jarosław to Lwów. In 1772 it was annexed by the Habsburg Empire, and included within newly formed Austrian Galicia, where it remained until late 1918. In Galicia, it was the seat of a county, with the population of almost 11,000 (Poles, Jews, Ukrainians and Czechs).
At the end of the 19th century, Yavoriv was a district town in Galicia. In 1627 there were 23 householders and 33 families in rented apartments.
|There are 3 Jevish cemeteries in Yavoriv, all of them were destroyed. This fragment of matzeva was founded on the site of New cemetery
In 1765, 639 Jews lived in Yavoriv, and 446 Jews lived in towns and villages subordinate to the kahal.
There were 11 Christians and 15 Jews in the tailor's guild.
According to the 1900 census - 2846 Jews (28.2% of the total population).
The Jews of the village were merchants or artisans. There was a synagogue.
In the district there are Jewish communities in townships Krakovets (in 1900 - 680 Jews, 38.2% of the total population) and Velkй Oczy (826 Jews, 42.3% of the total population).
The Jewish population before the German occupation on 26 June 1941 was around 3000.
Several hundred Jews were sent to local forced labor camps or to the Belzec extermination camp.
A few were transferred to a labour camp in Lviv.