- Russian Jewish encyclopedia
- Холокост на территории СССР: Энциклопедия / Гл. ред. И. А. Альтман. - М.: Российская политическая энциклопедия (РОССПЭН): Научно-просветительный Центр «Холокост», 2009
- Vladimir Levin, Jewish Galicia and Bukovina N.P.O. Published by Center for Jewish art
- Biblioteka Narodowa Polona. Żabie
Verkhovyna district, Ivano-Frankivsk region
Verkhovyna (until 1962 - Zhabye), the village of urban type (since 1962), the district center in the Ivano-Frankivsk region. Known since 1424. In the 19th - early 20th centuries - in the province of Galicia as part of Austria-Hungary. In 1919–39 - as part of Poland, in 1939–91 - as part of the Ukrainian SSR.
||Holocaust memorial, 2010
In 1890, in Verkhovyna lived 654 Jews (9.6%),
in 1921 - 673 Jews (8.2%),
in 1939 - 490 Jews (6%).
Jews lived in Verkhovyna from the 2nd half of the 19th century.
In the 1880s, a community was created; there was a Jewish cemetery.
In 1877–80, the rabbi was Shmaya Stainberg, in 1880-1912 - Fayvish Galpern, in the 1912 - late 1920s - Gotlib, in the late 1920s -1941 - ZVi-Matatiyagu Fisher.
In the 1920s and 1930s branches of various Jewish parties and organizations acted in Verkhovyna.
In June 1941, even before the arrival of the Germans, many Jews fled to the Romanian Bukovina. On 15 December 1941, the Germans drove the remaining Jews (more than 700 people) to the ghetto, located on the outskirts of the town. A few days later they shot them over previously dug pits.
The remaining Jews were evicted in the village of Krasnyk. December 25, 1941 all Jews who were there (600 people) were shot (according to other sources, taken to the ghetto to Kolomyia).