Sambir district, Lviv region
||Rudky, Lwowska street, 1914
- Pinkas Hakehillot Polin: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland, Volume II, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem.
- Russian Jewish encyclopedia
- Jewish Cemeteries Initiative. Rudki Old Jewish Cemetery
- Ukrzakhidprojectrestavratsiia, Eva Maria Kraiss: Center for Jewish art. Rudky (Rudki)
- Biblioteka Narodowa Polona. Rudki
Rudky (ukr. Рудки), town (since 1939) in Lviv region.
Founded in 14th century. In 19 - beginning 20th century - in the province of Galicia in Austria-Hungary. In 1919–39 - in the Lviv Voivodeship as part of Poland, in 1939–91 - as part of Ukrainian SSR.
At the end 18th century about 30 Jews lived in Rudky,
in 1880 - 1352 (52.4%),
in 1890 - 1347 (50.3%),
in 1900 - 1722 (53%),
in 1910 - 1968 (53%),
in 1921 - 1824 (52.8%),
in 1931 - 1962,
in June 1941 - approx. 3000 Jews.
Jews lived in Rudky since the 18th century. The Jewish cemetery was laid. At the beginning of the 19th century, a community was created, a wooden synagogue was built.
Jews in Rudky belonged to a tavern, several shops, an inn.
In 1896, a stone synagogue was built, in 1908 - the synagogue of the Chortkiv Hasids, in 1910 - 2 more Hasidic synagogues.
Rabbi of Rudky in 1840s - Kopl Eichenstein, in 1873–94 - Chaim-Itshak Yozefsberg (1840–1900), then his son Shlomo (1870–1942).
At the end of the 19th century, the Hasidic court in Rudky founded Pinhos-Nosn Safrin (1855–1932). The dynasty was continued by his son-in-law - Iehezkel-Shraga Helberstam (1898–1942).
In 1910, the Zionist organization Ha-Shahar, the Jewish library, choir, dramatic and chess circles were created in Rudky.
In 1916, 40 Jews were sent from Rudky to Tarnopol (modern Ternopil).
In 1919, a Jewish cooperative was created in Rudky with the help of Joint, in 1929 - the cash desk of mutual assistance.
In the 1920-30s departments of various Jewish parties and organizations acted in the Rudky. There were schools of the Tarbut and Beis Yaakov networks.
Jews belonged to several dozen shops, more than 10 workshops.
The rabbi in Rudky in the 1930s was Chaim Helberstam.
In the end of 1939, the Jewish population increased due to refugees from the western regions of Poland.
June 28, 1941 Rudky occupied the Wehrmacht troops.
In early July 1941, 39 Jews were shot.
In November 1942, 821 Jew was deported from Rudky to the Belzhets death camp. The rest of the Jews on December 1, 1942 were placed in a ghetto, in which there were also Jews from Komarno.
About 500 ghetto prisoners died of hunger and typhoid.
On April 9, 1943, during the liquidation of the ghetto, about 1,700 Jews were shot, about 300 deported to the Yanov camp in Lviv.
In the early 1990s in Rudky there were the remains of a wooden synagogue; preserved building of one of the synagogues is rebuilt into the warehouse.
|The only tombstone from destroyed cemetery lies near the private barn, 2019
||The upper part depicts the lion
||An important and respected man, walked in straight paths, a rabbi and teacher Yom-Tov, son of Shmuel, died 27 Ava 5615 (1855)
|Former synagogue in Rudky, 1993
|Former synagogue in Rudky, 2019
||Mass grave of Jews reinterred in the municipal cemetery, 2019