Zolochiv district, Lviv region
- Russian Jewish encyclopedia
- Jewish encyclopedia of Brockhaus & Efron
- Jewish Cemeteries Initiative. Pidkamin Jewish Cemetery
- Vladimir Sivers, Center for Jewish art. Pidkamin (Podkamień)
- Biblioteka Narodowa Polona. Podkamień
In 1765, 922 Jews lived in Pidkamin,
in 1880 - 1522 (47.6%),
in 1890 - 1591 (46.5%),
in 1900 - 1448 (42.2%),
in 1910 - more than 2000,
in 1921 - 822 (27.5%),
in Jan. 1942 - 927 Jews.
Jews lived in Pidkamin from the 17th century. The Jewish community of Pidkamin initially obeyed the Lviv Kagal.
In the middle of the 18th century rabbi in Pidkamin was Josef Ashkenazi, then Haim Landa, at the beginning of the 19th century - Zvi-Yankel Golberstam, from 1841 - Levi-Itskhok-Daiv Shor, from 1870 - Avrom-Heshel Babad, in 1885–1916 - Shmul Natanzon.
In 1906, the first Zionist organization was founded in Pidkamin - Agavas Zion.
In 1910, Pidkamin had 4 synagogues.
In the 1920-30s branches of various Jewish parties and organizations acted in Pidkamin, a school worked with teaching in Hebrew.
Since 1930, the rabbis have been Levy-Iskhok Garmelin and Yeshua-Heshel Babad.
At July 3, 1941 Pidkamin occupied the Wehrmacht troops. Locals immediately after the occupation arranged a pogrom, during which 4 synagogues were burned.
In July 1941, the German security police shot 36 Jews from among the intelligentsia.
Jews were assigned to work on the removal of stone from the Jewish cemetery and repair of the road. In August and September 1942 “actions” were held in Pidkamin, during which more than 600 Jews were killed.
At December 3 1942 remaining Jews (more than 200 people) were deported to Brody.
At the end of July 1943, 30 hiding Jews were killed in the forest near the village of Malinish.
|Synagogue in Pidkamin, 2011
Pidkamin (ukr. Підкамінь), urban-type settlement (since 1940) in Lviv region. Founded in 1441. In 19 - beginning 20th century - township of the province of Galicia in the Austria-Hungary. In 1919–39 - in the Tarnopol Voivodeship as part of Poland, in 1939–91 - as part of the Ukrainian SSR.
|Polish postcards with views of Pidkamin, beginning of 20 cerntury