Lviv district, Lviv region
|Novyy Yarychiv, market, before 1904. Postcard of the Jewish publishing house Ostermann in Novyy Yarychiv
- Russian Jewish encyclopedia
- Jaryczow Nowy. Słownik geograficzny Krуlestwa Polskiego, t. III: Haag – Kępy, Warszawa 1882, s. 463.
- Jewish encyclopedia of Brockhaus & Efron
- Biblioteka Narodowa Polona. Jaryczow Nowy
Novyy (New) Yarychiv (ukr. Новий Яричів), urban -type settlement (since 1940) in the Lviv region. Known from 1370. In the 16-18 centuries - as part of the Commonwealth. In the 19th-beginning of the 20th century - the township Yarychuv Novyy in the province of Galicia in the Austria-Hungary. In 1919–39 - as part of Poland, in 1939–91 - the Ukrainian SSR.
In 1577 in Novy Yarychiv lived approx. 25 Jews,
in 1765 - 613,
in 1880 - 1170 (45.5%),
in 1890 - 1168 (40.3%),
in 1900 - 1554 (49.8%),
in 1910 - 1608 (50.4% ),
in 1921 - 926 (43.3%),
in 1931 - 976,
in 1941 - approx. 1500 Jews.
In the 16-18 centuries, the Jewish community was under the jurisdiction of Zhovkva Kahal.
In 1578, the Jews of Novyy Yarychiv suffered from the raids of the Tatars.
In 1780, most artisans of Novyy Yarychiv were Jews.
In the 2nd half of the 18th century the rabbi of Novyy Yarychiv was Dovid Ashkenazi, in 1822–37 the rabbi was Sholom Rosenfeld, then his son -in -law Mordche Gristal (1800–1860). The place of Mordche Gristal was taken by his son Shmuel (1840–1908). Later, the son of Shmuel Gristal Zeev-Wolf (1861–1933) became the rabbi.
In the 19 - beginning of the 20th century the main affairs of the Jewish population were crafts and trade.
Since the end of the 19th century, Zionist circles operated in Novyy Yarychiv.
In 1922, with the help of the Joint, a school was opened with teaching in Hebrew.
In the 1920-30s there were branches of various Jewish parties and organizations.
In 1933–39 in Novyy Yarychiv was located Hasidic court of Schmuel Gutsman (1902–1970), the descendant of the Baal Shem Tov.
The last rabbi Novyy Yarychiv was the son of Zeev-Wolf Gristal Arye Leibush (1880–1940).
In the 1930s, several synagogues acted in Novyy Yarychiv.
In the summer of 1941, the troops of the Wehrmacht occupied the town.
In July 1941, 14 Jews were shot, in 1942 - 29 Jews.
Since November 25, 1942 there was a ghetto in which Jews from nearby settlements were located (approx. 2600 people).
On January 15, 1943, the ghetto was liquidated, about 2500 Jews were shot.
There was a working camp liquidated in July 1943.
After liberation 20 Jews returned in Novyy Yarychiv.