Chervonohrad district, Lviv region
- Russian Jewish encyclopedia
- Jewish encyclopedia of Brockhaus & Efron
- Center for Jewish art. Lopatyn (Łopatyn, Lopatin)
Lopatyn (ukr. Лопатин), urban -type village (since 1956). Founded in 1366. In 19 - beginning 20th century -township of the Brodsky district of the province of Galicia in the Austria-Hungary. In 1919–39 - as part of Poland, in 1939–91 - the Ukrainian SSR.
In 1880, 332 Jews lived in Lopatyn (14.4%),
in 1890 - 537 (19.8%),
in 1900 - 508 (17.5%),
in 1910 - 505 (15.3%),
in 1921 - in 1921 400 (12.5%),
in 1931 - 502,
in May 1942 - 450 Jews.
At the end of 19 century Rabbi in Lopatyn was Menacham-Mendl Lashchover, from 1898 - Chaim-Yehuda-Leybush Hemerling.
There were 2 synagogues - Belzer's and Gusyatin's Hasids.
The “Bikur Hoylim” and Chevra Kadisha acted.
Since beginning of the 1910s the Zionist organization Ha-Tikva functioned.
In 1922–24, a school with teaching in Hebrew worked in Lopatyn.
In the 1920-30s there were branches of various Jewish parties and organizations.
June 24, 1941 Lopatyn occupied the Wehrmacht troops. In July 1941, Judenrat was created. October 22 1942 approx. 400 Jews were deported to Sokal and from there - to the Belzhets death camp.
After the liberation in April 1944, 5 Jews returned to Lopatyn, but soon they left the village.
Asher Barash (1889–1952, Tel Aviv), writer, literary critic, author of novels in Hebrew were born in Lopatyn. He won the Bialik Prize in 1940 for his Hebrew language novel ‘’Alien Love’’.
In 1922 he founded the journal of literature and literary criticism Hedim with the writer Ya‘akov Rabinowitz, a sounding board for aspiring young writers. In his later years he served as president of the Hebrew Writers Association.
|Belz Hasidim Synagogue and Beit Midrash in Lopatyn, 2000