Yavoriv district, Lviv region
|Greetings from Krakoviets, school, 1903-1908
||Greetings from Krakoviets, market, 1904
||Greetings from Krakoviets, 1905
|Greetings from Krakoviets, Military Cantine, 1901
||Jewish bathhouse with mikveh, 1997
- Russian Jewish encyclopedia
- Słownik geograficzny Krуlestwa Polskiego i innych krajуw słowiańskich, vol. 4, eds. F. Sulimierski, W. Walewski, B. Chlebowski, Warszawa 1883, p. 606.
- Jewish encyclopedia of Brockhaus & Efron
- Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, vol. 1, eds. S. Spector, G. Wigoder, New York 2001, p. 434.
- Benjamin Lukin, Boris Khaimovich: Center for Jewish art. Krakovets (Krakowiec), 1997
- Biblioteka Narodowa Polona. Krakowiec
- Shim Harno/Alamy
- Marla Raucher Osborn, Krakovets, 2020
Krakovets, urban-type village (since 1940) in Lviv region. Known since 1423. From 1425 - a township. In the 16-18 centuries - as part of the Commonwealth. In 19 - beginning 20th century - in Javorovsky powiat of the provinces of Galicia in Austria-Hungary. In 1919–39 - as part of Poland, in 1939–91 - USSR.
In 1765 in Krakovets lived 318 Jews,
in 1880 - 897 (47%),
in 1900 - 680 (38.2%),
in 1910 - 668 (37.8%),
in 1921 - 529 (38%),
in 1931 - 340 Jews.
Jews appeared in Krakovets at the beginning of the 17th century. In 1880, 897 Jews lived in the town and constituted about 47 percent of the total population (1891). However, over the next 50 years, emigration on a massive scale reduced their population by as much as two-thirds.
In the middle of the 18th century, the rabbi of Krakovets was Pinhos Katsenelbogen, at the beginning of the 19th century - Mordhe Gimpel, in the 2nd half of the 19th century - Meir Gurvitz, until 1875 - Avrom-Jehoshua Ashkenazi (1850–1900), in the 1880s - Pinhos-Eliezer Tayker.
In the 1830s the head of the Rabbin's Court in Krakovets was Yakov Lieberman, from 1906 - Isroel Kliger (1867–1942).
At the end of the 19th century, among the Jews of Krakovets there were 4 shoemakers, 5 tailors, 2 Jewish families were engaged in trade, about 40 Jews - in transport services.
By the beginning of the 20th century, there were 3 synagogues and 2 Jewish cemeteries in Krakovets.
In the 1920-30s there were branches of various Jewish parties and organizations, including “Yidishe leze farain”, “Ahuva”, “Beitar” and “Akiva”.
In the summer of 1941, Krakovets occupied the Wehrmacht troops.
In 1942, 65 Jews were shot; the remaining in December 1942 were sent to the ghetto of Yavoriv.
In January 1943, more than 20 hidden Jews were shot.
The synagogue was built in the first half of the 19th century. In Soviet times, it was used as a carpentry workshop.
|Synagogue in Krakovets, approximately 1920s
||Synagogue in Krakovets, 1997
||Synagogue in Krakovets, 2020