Yavoriv district, Lviv region
|Former Jewish houses in Ivano-Frankove, 1997
- Jewish encyclopedia of Brockhaus & Efron
- Jewish Cemeteries Initiative. Ivano-Frankove Jewish Cemetery
- Benjamin Lukin, Center for Jewish art. Ivano-Frankove (Janуw, Yaniv)
Ivano-Frankove (Ukrainian: Івано-Франкове), formerly Yaniv, Janуw
Jews settled in 1614. The Jewish population of the locality was nearly annihilated during the Khmelnytsky massacres of 1648-49.
In the 17th-18th century, the Jews were engaged in trade and leasing.
In 1765 there were 177 Jews who owned 17 houses.
The independent Jewish community emerged in the late 18th century.
The Jewish population reached 968 (53.2% of the total population) in 1880.
Until the beginning of the 20th century, Yanovsky honey was famous, which gives income to local Jews.
In the late 19th century, the largest meadery in Galicia owned by Itzhak Blat was functioning.
In 1876, Yosef-Yitzhak Katz fulfilled the duties of a rabbi in the town, and he was replaced by Menachem Margulius in 1910.
The Belz Hasidism predominated.
In 1901, the Zionist organization Ahavat Yisrael was established.
In 1900 there were 1235 Jews.
In 1910, the Jewish population reached a peak of 1,117 (43% of the total population).
In 1921 there were 490 Jews (27.1% of the total population).
The Wehrmacht troops occupied Ivano-Frankove on June 28, 1941. A ghetto was established in summer 1942 and liquidated in November 1942.
Some young Jews had survived by escaping to the forests.